Alert - Deferred Action Candidates

SOCIAL SECURITY CARD available for Deferred Action Grantees

Those who have been approved for Deferred Action as a Child Arrival (DACA) and received work authorization (EAD) may apply for a Social Security card.

Take your USCIS-issued Employment Authorization Card (I-766) and original documents proving your age and identity to your local Social Security Office.

In addition to the approved EAD (Employment Authorization Document,) you must show an original document or a certified copy of one of the following as proof of your age and identity:

  • Foreign birth certificate;
  • Foreign passport;
  • U.S. military record;
  • U.S. military identification card;
  • Religious record showing age or date of birth;
  • U.S. driver's license;
  • U.S. state-issued identification card;
  • School record showing age or date of birth;
  • School identification card; or
  • Copy of medical record.

The Social Security Administration has issued a fact sheet about how those individuals who qualify for Deferred Action Status for Childhood Arrivals can apply for a Social Security Number.

The public will find the link to the new fact sheet on

Visit or call toll-free, 1-800-772-1213 for more information.