Wanna Travel? Not quite yet...

Advance Parole NOT available to Applicants for Deferred Action

Applicants for Deferred Action do NOT have the right to travel outside the US until AFTER deferred action is granted, AND until the CIS has granted the request for Advance Parole (Form I-131)

This is important because for many people, the pain of separation from family overseas, parents in particular, is particularly painful. Many have not seen family members for many years. Often wedding, funerals, other special events cause someone to travel outside the US without authority, and whatever immigration benefits they may otherwise have been entitled to are lost forever. This is the situation with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals who, if they travel prior to the grant, will lose the ability to have the benefit of this new policy.

An excellent link for the government policy concerning deferred action is located at: http://www.uscis.gov/childhoodarrivals. As can be seen, you cannot file an I-131 with the request for deferred action (Form I-821D) but only later, after that request has been approved.

Any questions, contact IBLF (202) 296-1111.